Soapy Clay Recipe
Soapy clay recipe is a no cook homemade clay suitable small objects. It will dry hard with smooth finish.
I like this clay because it smells good. Some of you may ask, why we use soap. Well, beside for the fragrance the soap is actually somewhat preserve the clay. It keeps the clay fresh for few days.
But if the humidity level in your place is high, the clay will still be moldy after few days.
Honestly, this clay is good if you use it all within 2 or 3 days. So, make a small batch - just enough for your crafts on the day you make them.
By the way, even though we use soap, you can't use it back as soap after you mix it with flour :)
Tools & Materials
- Bowl/ plastic tray to mix the ingredients
- Measuring cups
- 50 gram fragrance soap block or about 1/2 soap bar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (250 ml) tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Elmer's Glue
- 1 tbs Glycerin
How to make Soapy Clay?
- Use grater to grate your soap (for fragrance clay, use fragrance soap).
- Slowly add hot water until grated soap soft.
- Add tapioca starch little by little and mix it with soap in the bowl or plastic tray.
- Knead the mixture
- Pour the Elmer's glue to the starch and soap mixture
- Knead well about 10 minutes until it didn't stick to your hands anymore. If it does, add a little bit of starch again.
- Add 1 tbs of glycerin or just enough to make your clay softer and to prevent it from cracking especially for places with low humidity level.
- Your soapy clay is ready!
- Wrap your clay with plastic wrapper and keep it in the air tight container.
We've also prepare video tutorial for you as below.
Soapy Clay Recipe Tips:
- Use new stock of tapioca starch.
- Do not use oil when kneading the mixture.
- Use only good quality soap.
- Check your local Asian grocery store for tapioca starch.
- Add few spoon of plain flour if your clay brittle.
- You can color the clay after it's ready or during the mixing
- The clay contained soap but shouldn't be used as normal soap when it is dry.
- It should be used as decorative items only - not for skin/ body.
| Home | ^Back To Top Of Soapy Clay Page | Next Recipe |
Share your craft
Do you make your craft? Share it!